PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Group Training Academy at Wellcamp
Old 11th Jun 2019, 04:07
Rated De

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ixixly
"“After graduation, students will automatically join the Qantas Group’s pilot talent pool and have access to opportunities with other partners which will help fast track placement in the aviation industry,” Qantas said." Read to me as no direct employment afterwards and a need to go out and gain actual hours somewhere before being able to come back in a GA industry that is being strangled by CASA. I'm pretty sure I've heard this one before, I believe Griffith University had a partnership a while ago with Qantas, Students were interviewed, placed in the "Talent Pool" then told to go out and gain a thousand hours before they were qualified and from memory not a lot of those Pilots ended up actually getting in for various reasons.

As Icarus said, that's a lot of instructors as well, though I think Icarus is a bit light on the numbers, 150hr CPL course, they need ME-IR as well, even with a really well integrated course I'd day say closer to 170hrs on average times 250 students, 2/3 solo 28,050hrs means at least 50 instructors though more like 60 to allow some fat in the system? Has anyone seen any advertisements for the providers looking to increase their numbers?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for something like this, I've long wondered by Qantas and others haven't tried to set this up to have more control over numbers and quality coming in but this feels like more smoke and mirrors to me.

Caveat Emptor.

No doubt the glossy brochure has an A380 with gender fluid new hire endorsing the product.
The small print will tell a different story, flung to a 'subsidiary' at a non-market IR driven rate, with much accumulated debt over one's head.