PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2019, 12:33
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 116d
Firstly, BA never specifically announced these flights would use the trio of retrojets. The booking engines did say it would be 747's as I saw that myself, but the use of retrojets in the absence of an official announcement somehow became fait accompli from reporting by blog news pages. I don't know their sources though and they could well have got their info from BA, but when you take a step back why would BA not announce something like this themselves? Other airlines who have done something special in the past such as KLM with the MD-11 farewell pleasure flights out of AMS and Monarch turning the LGW-BHX positioning flight of their final A300 into a farewell special seemed fine with making an official announcement about it.

Secondly, BA are a business and with the greatest of respect, I doubt BA will be losing sleep because a small number of enthusiasts who had booked on it because it was scheduled for a 747 and under the false impression it would be a retrojet are upset about it, especially when compared to some of the major issues they've had in the past such as IT failures, LHR T5 opening teething problems. At least BA have offered refunds when they could have easily hid behind their T&C's and claimed they always reserve the right to change planned equipment prior to the flight taking place.

It may have demonstrated to BA there is demand to do something special and hopefully there will be, but I expect anything special to be announced in a more official manner as that would be more fairer than just quietly slipping it in there and others running with it.
With all due respect, they have 3 retro 747s and planned to fly 3 747s on 3 routes on the 100th anniversary. I think it was pretty safe to assume the 3 747s were the retro colours. I don't know why you seem to think this wouldn't have been the case or that people booked under false expectations. They would have no reason to run 747s on these routes if it wasn't going to be the 3 specific planes that have been painted to mark the 100th anniversary on an event that was specifically being done to mark the 100th anniversary.