PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Officer's sword
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2019, 06:16
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Just don't lose the bloody thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You say 'at cadets' which suggests that he is in the ATC or CCF. I would expect the unit staff to have some idea as to where the sword came from originally. There is a sword presented to the best ATC cadet in the Corps called The Dacre Sword and was once the property of Air Cdre Dacre. Rumour has it that it was one of three swords made when the RAF was formed. One sword went to the King, Dacre acquired a second and the third?????????????? Gp Capt Phil Dacre often presents the sword to the annual recipient but they only get their hands on it for a few minutes. Mrs Dacre (air cdre's widow) gave a brooch to the ATC when girls joined and that was called the Dacre Brooch for the best female cadet. It was incorporated into a sash but it is now used by the Duchess of Cambridge when undertaking ATC duties (why she can't wear a uniform is unclear to me!). Female cadets are now awarded the 'ATC75' Sword.

Inevitably drifting the Thread, the ATC remains IMHO the best youth organisation in the country - I've deleted my original comments on the admin and bureaucracy but setting those aside there's still an enormous pull in the air cadets. I joined in 1958 and went back to it after regular service and am still there (just about). Seeing cadets after they have just completed something they thought they could never do still makes all the rubbishy bits worthwhile.

Old Duffer