PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Queen's Birthday Honours List 2019 - Military Division
Old 10th Jun 2019, 02:13
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
There’s only two names I know on the RAF list; neither are hangers-on and both richly deserve the State Honours.

I went to a Branch dining-in recently (I wished I hadn’t...). Loads of people with OBEs and MBEs awarded for doing their jobs on RAF stations or at Air - few (from what I know) received them for working in the joint or OGD environment. As said, it relies on a good boss to do the write-up and being in a light blue reporting chain. But very few had more than one or two operational medals; several officers actually had to ask about the Balkans medals and a Gp Capt derided them in front of me, with “oh, that’s for spending time in Italy”. She wasn’t joking and I challenged her on the matter. She had an Afghan OSM for a 2 month stint in Kabul and an OBE for “transformation” (ie closing a base). And one Diamond Jubilee medal.

I left that Dining in fuming about a bunch of very-self-satisfied ops-dodgers who have had very dull careers; I have had the satisfaction of delivering effect by both military and diplomatic means on a series of challenging op tours and overseas postings. And a huge range of experiences all over the world.