PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bournemouth-4
Thread: Bournemouth-4
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2019, 20:16
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharklet_321
I would agree with a future Jet2 at BOH. Look at how they are competing successfully when head to head with Ryanair at other UK airports. So the presence of Ryanair at BOH probably doesn't bother them in the slightest. They may even see it as a positive to provide an alternative. However, Jet2 seems to go into bases in a big way and there just isn't the demand in the BOH catchment to do that. I would hazard a guess that if they do ever do BOH it would be a split base with EXT. Jet2 could also do very well from EXT and chip away at the easyJet/Ryanair BRS base.
I think that BRS has more to worry about at the moment than the thought of a Jet2 EXT base chipping away at the Lulsgate easyJet/Ryanair base, not that in normal circumstances it would be very concerned.

Currently BRS has a planning application with the local authority linked to an application to have its 10 mppa limit raised to 12 mppa (the airport says it will be over 9 mppa by the end of this year and 12 mppa by 2025). Until last month's local elections the local authority in which BRS sits was overwhelmingly Conservative and was likely to approve the applications. The Conservatives received a beating at the elections and the nucleus of the council now is Independent/Lib-Dem/ Green. I can't see these approving the applications which would no doubt mean an airport appeal to the Planning Inspectorate which could take up to a year for a final decision.

If BRS can't get its 10 mppa raised after it has exhausted all avenues it would be good news for the likes of CWL and EXT, and to a lesser extent for BOH and possibly SOU as well.