PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK versus BA
Thread: EK versus BA
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2019, 12:46
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting discussion. I'll add a few points.

When you guys compare work in the ME, with for example EK vs loco / legacy in Europe, don't forget that Dubai has gotten seriously expensive over the past 10 years while salaries have been more or less frozen. Subsidized education? Well, in many cases the school allowance often doesn't cover 100% of the fees. In Europe education is "free" (paid for by your tax) and in most countries education is still offered at a pretty good standard, obviously varying with country and where you decide to live. Buying / owning property in Dubai (and ME in general) can be extremely dodgy and loads of expats have lost considerable amounts of money in Dubai. No need to pay ridiculously high utility bills in most of Europe to cover for aircon when its 40+ degrees outside. Planning on renting instead? Expect rent to go up faster than your pay is and with no reason for landlord to explain or justify anything. Have you ever gone food shopping in Dubai? Ordered a beer or 5? It's crazy expensive. I could go on and on.

My point is, taking home €8500-€10.000 (net) per month working for a loco in Europe is probably not a bad thing.

On a different note, I was surprised to see how low the basic pay is in BA for LH/SH basic pay after 20+ years, I thought it would be at least close to 200k on LH and 160k or so on SH.

CP