PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2019, 17:21
Alchad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subsonicsubic

Never saw one clip of Typhoons, F15s or Tornados flying the Mach Loop at speed with the burners plugged in.
One of my retirement hobbies is low level Aviation photography and living near to the Mach Loop I've spent quite a bit of time sitting on the side of a hill waiting for a fast jet to appear round the corner. Occasionally if the pilots spotted photographers they might plug in the burners for a few seconds to give us that special shot, but there was an unwritten code that "what happened in the Loop stayed in the Loop" and such shots were rarely published. With the advent of Facebook the Loop became much more popular and the code started to be ignored so you can probably find burner shots if you Google.

As I said, burners were only normally plugged in for a few seconds while they were near the photographers, although there was one rather special occasion when a pilot on his "fini" Tornado flight was supposed to have done the entire Loop on burners - certainly for the 1/3rd of the Loop that was in my field of view at least😀

I was fortunate to be at Rainbow when the above video was taken. It was actually a photo shoot by the Dutch F35 323 TES Squadron based at Edwards AF base and received quite a bit of publicity in the aviation press, couldn't see the RAF doing that with one of their F35's in the Loop!