PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreadful Films: A Great Shame On Brave Men
Old 5th Jun 2019, 09:24
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Whilst FarEastDriver is correct that they are 'fiction', 303 is heavily biased towards the real 303 and the Polish contribution to the BofB. As to Lancaster Skies it makes the point of being based on real events, although I accept that can be subject to very wide interpretation. He is also right about contrails in cowboy films and there is the famous landrover in the film El Cid and I'm sure many others.

It's a great pity that the subjects have been so casually dealt with and whilst it is commented that this Thread uses my 'false' name, I'm happy to repeat the comments in any sort of open forum and can justify (the films will show the truth of my remarks) what I have written.

I won't write to the makers, my experience of correcting serious errors of fact has not been good!! I wrote to a commissioning editor for a book about Arnhem - of which I have some knowledge. The book refers to ranks such as 'Leading Air Commander' (LAC), 'Second Lieutenant' (S/L), 'Flight Officer' (F/O) {and neither the female or the USAAF rank} and is peppered with dreadful mistakes of fact. The Editor wasn't interested so I wrote a formal book review which was published but the book is still on sale!!!!

O-D