PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2019, 13:01
FACoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Busdriver01
Will it take a catastrophic hull loss attributed entirely to roster induced fatigue before the industry wakes up and sees how absurd things are getting?
Even if that were to happen, you can guarantee that airlines would simply find a way of pinning the blame on the pilot for reporting for work fatigued in the first place. It's all over the manuals - "pilots should not operate if they suspect they are fatigued". Clearly it's written with about as much sincerity as BA's latest box-ticking email on mental health, but it's something they'll still gladly point to in the event of any fatigue related incident.

Which is why we continue to be our own worst enemy. In BA especially, I have been astounded at how many people relentlessly soldier on through some of the most appalling roster sequences I've ever seen (6/1 and repeat on SH), as if their own health is irrelevant and reporting fatigued isn't even an option. Perhaps if more people told the company where to shove it, things would eventually change - working everyone to the bone would then become counter productive. I've not been in BA long, but I myself have already had far more roster-induced sickness here than my previous airline. The problem however is encouraging more people to say enough is enough. BA have played a blinder by instilling a culture of fear that seemingly dissuades people from doing so.

One would hope of course that eventually companies like BA will acknowledge (forcibly or otherwise) that rostering everyone to the extremes of EASA is unsustainable and ultimately costs more when people finally fall over later down the line. KLM certainly made a step in the right direction when they awarded their pilots a 4% pay increase along with a 4% reduction in work. It's a shame BA still have the blinkers so firmly in place.