PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extinction Rebellion are threatening to shut down Heathrow Airport with drones
Old 4th Jun 2019, 12:02
VFR Only Please

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ii
Originally Posted by up_down_n_out
The polar ice caps are NOT melting.!
Well, free country and all that, Out. To paraphrase Will Rogers, I just know what I read in the scientific journals.
https://blogs.agu.org/geospace/2019/...wYKb7f2ULuqVow

I think dr dre makes a good point about "people who are older and don't think they'll be affected by any real catastrophic effects of climate change when they occur." I'm 64 and have a lifetime of peace and stability behind my lucky self. Even if the chickens come home to roost tomorrow, well, I've had my life. If I were 20 I can imagine feeling pretty bitter and subversive toward Business as Usual.

In response to 73quanda -- especially given his mention of NASA -- and his plea for up-to-date sources -- here's a link from something NASA has put up that I copied, like, 30 seconds ago: https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

Obviously you can't hope for all scientific data to agree all the time. That's what makes science so much FUN and why its wheels turn so slowly.

I live in the Alps. When I first moved to these parts almost 40 years ago, you could go to Mont Blanc and take a cog railway up to the enormous final stage of the glacier. There's a hotel up there built in 1880 (mark that year). From there it was a short jaunt down to the ice.
NOW you go up to the same place. They have put in a freaking cable-car since the ice-level has fallen so far. But then it kept on falling, so there's an endless succession of steel steps down to what's left of the glacier. Then you have to climb back up (only the fittest survive).
All that in 40 years. And they have painted every last one of those years on the bare rock just to drive the point home.
Do I need a PhD to notice this?

Let's all remember that climate is by definition a stable Trend, and can't be upset by inherently chaotic weather events, such as a bad winter.

As for Thread Drift, if global heating weren't the biggest challenge going, probably only a small minority (with whom I might sympathize) would oppose a third runway.
But it is. So you can't separate the two issues.

Last edited by VFR Only Please; 4th Jun 2019 at 13:00.