PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using GPS ground speed to resolve Unreliable Airspeed
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 20:26
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the CAPTAIN deems it necessary to deviate from procedures it is his right to do so. BUT afterwards he will need to explain what(and why) he did to the nice guys on the green table.

You seem to have a very jaundiced view of airline management - perhaps from bitter personal experience?
In my last job, I was the man who sat behind the green table, actually red. And if any of our captains had made a decision which he carried out in the belief it was the right thing to do (not negligent or foolhardy) but was wrong with the benefit of hindsight, then it was treated as such and no action would be taken except to learn from it and publish it to the rest of the pilots as a learning exercise. it is in this manner that we all learn. One of the mysteries for me is how following Lion Air, that every pilot on the MAX worldwide wasn't an expert in all the factors that led to the loss of that plane. Publishing the Boeing Bulletin is not enough.

If a captain deliberately behaved in a manner that was against training, airmanship, common sense and was done with malice aforethought, that would be a different story. An example might be disregarding a hard GPWS warning.
Y