PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using GPS ground speed to resolve Unreliable Airspeed
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 20:01
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pineteam
Except you don’t need to improvise in the case of an unreliable airspeed procedure. Just maintain pitch and thrust it works just fine. Then and only then a quick check at your GPS speed....Yeah if you want. Not required by Airbus QRH tho.
When I fly raw data departure, I always set 10 degrees pitch and CLB thrust and the speed always sit at 250kt +-5kt. It’s super accurate and very easy to remember the pitch/ thrust setting. At least approximately enough to fly 1 or 2 min safely to give time to the PM to find the accurate pitch and thrust setting without overspeeding or stalling.
Most of the time, If you do nothing the plane will keep flying perfectly fine. Relax and take your time.
Dear Pineteam
Thats what I have been saying all along, with the addition of taking GS into account too. At the time of failure maintain status quo and if it was working a moment ago, it still will. And will continue to do so for a time. AF 447 for example.
GS extends your 1-2 minutes almost infinitely . Even if you don't know the wind ( which you will) In your scenario settle at 250 its GS with pitch and power accordingly. Unless you have a headwind or tailwind in excess of 50 kts you are perfectly safe. Your IAS must be in the range 200-300 which are both safe. Neither too fast nor too slow. And if the wind is stronger than that you will surely know about it and take it into account.

In AF 447 if GS had been kept at 450 kts and level flight , nothing could have gone wrong. nothing. No need for immediate reference to tables from manufacturer which need to be accessed and understood.

The major accidents due to UAS all get into major speed errors way outside these sort of numbers due to total disorientation and confusion. Yet right there is your GS to help stabilise things.
Y