PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 16:06
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

As one of the "legendary" pilots of yesteryear along with yan and others,,,,,,,,,,

We would not be commenting/contributing here if we were just plain "lucky". As one of my mentors told me early on, "luck is when preparation meets opportunity". We encountered many problems to get here and we are still alive to comment, lucky or not. I prefer "or not".

Did our training help? You bet your a$$$.
Did we have great IP's? Ditto
Did most of us have good "hands"? Pretty sure I had/have. Too many flights when asking Joe Baggodonuts student "can you feel that?" "Feel what?". Gasp, this was gonna take some time......... Believe it or not, but I gor a poor grade in the T-37 for stall/spin entry! I protested, claiming that I was not supposed to stall or spin. Intentionally stalling and spinning wasn't high on my priority list, heh heh. I resented the buffet and wing rock you encountered when pulling back on the stick and then putting in rudder at the stall. Sheesh.

So I support the folks here that like better training. At the same time, I do not appreciate the Yeager types here that claim "Oh yeah, if that were me there would be no problem".

You do not know the problem until something you least expect happens when you least expect it, and there is no memory item to mitigate the situation. You must rely upon past experience and mental exercises you did when sitting in the barber chair or waiting for your physical blood test or...... I used those stoopid times to imagine a problem and what I would do. Worked for me......
+++++++++++++++++++++
I do not like a kludge soulution to the 737 MAX handling characteristics at high AoA, and those are below the stall AoA.

IMHO ( not so humble), Boeing needed an aerodynamic solution and not an bandaid that could activate when they least expected it to activate. And then remove the manual electric trim if the crew followed the procedure!!!

Gums sends....

Last edited by gums; 3rd Jun 2019 at 22:07.