PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 06:54
ManaAdaSystem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bend alot
The issue that the simulator trim wheel forces are lower than in the actual aircraft - so it is not a simulation, and we/most do not know at what stage the manual trim wheel will not be able to be moved ( near full forward or not far past natural, in seconds of a runaway trim). Given the manual trim wheel is hardly used in normal flight, most pilots I expect would be very surprised in the force required to move a moderate out of trim stabiliser. That comment based on known history and recent reductions in trim wheel size - they certainly did not make "it" easier to move!

This was a recent discovery, so your training may not be relevant in a real case of survival incident - but you would pass with flying colours in the simulator.
No training, we just tried out various stab settings and speeds vs manual trim.
I imagine manual trim can be impossible at nearly any stab settings. It’s all about the load on the stab.
This is a 737 issue since none of the other aircraft I have flown have had a manual trim wheel like the 737.
Had Boeing removed the trim wheel on the Max and made it electric only, we would not have this discussion.
I have no worries about the NG. I have never had a runaway trim. I have never had an AOA fail.

*Knock on wood*