PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using GPS ground speed to resolve Unreliable Airspeed
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 08:27
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by itsnotthatbloodyhard

So is applying the memory items and/or NNCs laid down by the manufacturer.

If AF447 had simply not changed pitch or power, with no reference to GS at all, the same would still be true.

It’s quite true that GS has its uses - the ‘Reference GS’ we used to use on approach in Boeings, and the similar GS Mini in the Airbus are good examples. But I don’t agree that GS is the infallible all-purpose solution you seem to believe it is, nor can you justify using it instead of the manufacturer’s procedures.
I didn’t say instead of. I said in addition to. First response is always to stabilize using known PITCH POWER ALTITUDE WEIGHT ETC.
The existing steady state conditions are of course proven to work since that’s what you had just before the problem.
I repeat if AF 447 for example had done this they could not have stalled or indeed over speeded.
But after that you have to use a lot of logic to determine which if any or indeed all parameters are incorrect. And here GS is king. And as we can see here, there are people who don’t believe it! Good luck with that.
Y