PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was considered long-haul in the 70s and what now?
Old 1st Jun 2019, 09:49
Sultan Ismail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Town to London

I and my wife and a 5 month old daughter had the good fortune to fly on the first SAA 747SP scheduled flight CPT-LHR on 1st April 1977, I recall on entering the aircraft seeing the plaque commemorating the delivery flight from Everett to CPT.
We were on ZS-SPA "Matroosberg".

On 30th April 1981 we departed Johannesburg for London, now with 2 daughters. Before takeoff we were advised that industrial action by Heathrow ATC may result in a diversion, which we were made to understand meant Amsterdam or Paris.
When push came to shove the industrial action did happen and we landed at Stansted!
In a conversation with the Captain several years later it transpired that we were flightplanned to Stansted, with Heathrow as alternate.

Now imagine those early days at Stansted, the old terminal, our 747-200 towered over the building with the queue for immigration stretching outside and under the wing.

There were 2 (TWO) taxis on the rank, I commandeered one to Bishops Stortford railway station, and we took the train to Cambridge and home.