PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2019, 07:08
dr dre

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by TempoTCu
Fair call. It is still a gamble as to whether you would get a job at the end - I think interest would be a lot higher if the Qantas stance was "you'll get a job as long as you meet our standards". My concern lies in whether Qantas is just using this for revenue and with a desire to pump out as many graduates as possible with no concern for whether roles exist in the company or not. I know this is no different to every other flight school, and I also know there is no guarantee of a job at the end of any type of pilot training regardless of how you get there. Just dont want to be taken for a ride and trying to avoid the "come here because we have the name Qantas on the front of our building (but you probably wont get a job afterwards because we only have 50 positions and 1000 of you to chose from)".
I believe the money goes to FTA, not the airline.

And if there are more graduates than positions, then even more so the reason to go to the academy. That means zero traditionally GA background pilots will be taken at all, as I'd assume all available positions would be filled by academy graduates.

The most probable scenario (I'd say 95%) in this circumstance is that you get a job within the group upon graduation. The worst case is that you graduate and there are no jobs available, but then you're really no worse off than any other GA trained pilot, and you'll have the benefit of being known to the group so when recruitment starts up again you'll have one foot in the door above anyone who went through GA.

With about 800-1000 CPL's (a large number for foreign students who won't work here professionally) issued in Australia every year, and this Academy ultimately gearing up to take several hundred graduates per year, and Virgin's academy accounting a large number as well, (and not to forget Rex's school in Wagga) the majority of professional pilot training in the country will be done via these academies. The real threat will be for every other flying school in the country, unfortunately a lot of these long standing schools will be closing down.

I think young people would be willing to pay the extra fees to have a more guaranteed shot at an immediate start with a major airline, rather than the "get your CPL and hunt for a job yourself" mentality.

I know this is no different to every other flight school
There is a difference in the big academies like FTA and a normal run of the mill local flying school. They may issue you with the same licence, but the standard of the candidate will be one who can start employment as an airline pilot upon graduation, which is why major airlines select schools like these and not the Bonnie Doon Aero Club to deliver their course.