PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - which secondhand RA-AUS aircraft to look at in $30k-$60k range???
Old 25th May 2019, 23:42
machtuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoates
There are a lot of aircraft to choose from and many that will suit your stated purpose. There are only two problems, the registration category and your price range.

The 24 registration category is for factory built aircraft that are allowed to be used for training. Most of these aircraft hold a very high used value and most won't come close to $60,000 and nowhere near $30,000.

You may need to look at a 19 category registered aircraft which is an amateur built aircraft. In the 19 category look for a proven design that is still supported, easy to maintain and something which is not orphaned like a manufacturer out of business, one of design or a heavily modified kit design.

There are countless dozens in this category that are in your price range.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with this following aircraft and will have no benefit, financial or otherwise from its sale.

I was speaking to a pilot yesterday at our airfield. He has just spent two years restoring an Aeronca Chief and it has just taken to the skies, (quite a beautiful nice old aircraft) this means he is selling his existing aircraft which may be of interest to you. It is an X-Air Hanumun with folding wing option, it has a Rotax 100 hp engine, been hangered every day of its life and he was mentioning yesterday that he only wants $34,000 for the aircraft (which in my opinion is ready good value for something that originally cost around $55,000 as a kit)

If this is a sort of thing you are interested in please PM me and I will send you his contact phone number. The aircraft is located at Jacobs Well on the Gold Coast.

This is NOT the exact aircraft but it looks the same, just different colour

Sorry I forgot to mention so have added this later, any RA-Aus aircraft you purchase will need to go through what is called a condition inspection before it can be sold. Make sure you get a condition inspection done by a very well-known and active maintenance authority holder who is approved for inspections on RA-Aus aircraft. It is really important that he is independent and does not know the aeroplane or the owner. This way you will get a very accurate condition report and know the exact problems or faults that may exist with the aircraft. The condition report is not cheap, probably $500 from somebody that really knows what they are doing and needs to travel to your location but it is better to spend $500 (which he may be able to negotiate off the selling price of the aircraft) than it is to lose $40,000 or whatever you are spending on the aircraft by purchasing an aircraft that has not been accurately described
The latter good advice:-) As long as the machine has a Rotax you cant go wrong:-)