PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using GPS ground speed to resolve Unreliable Airspeed
Old 25th May 2019, 10:51
Capn Bloggs

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts
Wiggy, I agree.

Originally Posted by F16 guy
Trucking along for 10 hours straight, do you constantly keep track of your GND speed?
No, what's the point? When you go UAS, then note your GPS GS. Maintain it until you work out what's going on. If you pull up to 4° and pull the power back to 75% (Flying Stone/737 UAS?) at FL370, you'd better watch that GPS GS closely because it'll be reducing!

At light weight and low altitude, the true airspeed will be higher than normal, but within the flight envelope
Precisely, and where the Ethiopians found themselves immediately prior to the final dive: at Vmo. I wonder what the GPS GS was then...

Originally Posted by F16
In my aeroplane, the FPA is not reliable during a UAS event.
Thats because the relation between FPA (INU/INS), Pitch and AOA is only perfectly constant and reliable in a no wind environment, flying in a straight line (1g). However, the FPA is a very reliable means of showing level flight regardless of the status of the AS indicators.
Just telling you what my FCOM says.

Originally Posted by Flying Stone
Why do you want to fly exactly at 250 KIAS? It is safe, for sure, but so are UAS pitch/power settings.
I didn't say anything about "exactly" 250KIAS. 230-270 GPS GS who cares? At least it's not Vmo with full nose down MACS trim while maintaining the UAS "it's safe" memory numbers while your PM comes up with some numbers from the back of the QRH...

Originally Posted by Busdriver
Setting a sensible pitch / power setting, and then following the QRH procedure for trouble shooting has to be the safest option.
I agree. My point is that GPS GS is an invaluable aid while doing that, especially down low on approach or after TO when wind effect is low/known.