PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perhaps aviation biggest challenge....
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2019, 08:19
73qanda

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Dr Dre, I don’t think you understood the intent of my post ( maybe my fault).
I’ll try again when I get to the hotel but I wasn’t saying that there isn’t consensus, I was saying it isn’t basic, and it isn’t well understood. It is in fact incredibly complex with many many variables each having an effect on each other. ( as I’m sure you’re aware).
If someone agrees that there is man made climate change it doesn’t mean they understand man made climate change, or that it is basic. I was trying to make the point that because you can’t repeat an experiment in a Lab 500 times and say “ see.....global temperatures are going to rise by 2.3 degrees in the next 50 years” , we have a debate in society about whether or not climate change is as big a problem as most are saying it is. The only reason we can’t predict the future climate with certainty is because of the incredible complexity of the interactions that go to make it up. It isn’t basic and it isn’t well understood.
TehDehZeh
1. The mechanism behind green house gases literally is exactly that, and it is straight forward to show it experimentally.
I agree but the debate around climate change is much more complex than that due to the large number of variables. A good example of this is when people ( quite legitimately) ask why we are under such time pressure to limit CO2 emissions when they have been many times higher in the earths long history without accompanying high temperatures. This can be explained of course but only through estimates of solar radiation emission from the same time periods....complex, not well understood. Not able to be proven. Would you agree?