PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing admits flaw in 737 Max flight simulator
Old 20th May 2019, 14:38
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!
Thanks PEI and Derjo. Two good points.
Way back I mentioned the "canard" effect of moving the motors forward. I even propose using vanes or vortex doofers on the motors to keep the pitch moments close to the older model planes. A far superior solution than a half-assed sftwe thing embedded in an existing black box. End of rant
Secondly, I like having the discussion here, as it seems civilized and less visited by newbies that have not kept up with all the posts. I still have trouble with the control force versus the AoA as a criteria. This is from cert of the Airbus 320 and subsequent. My 'bus friends here will gladly help and confirm that there is zero feedback to those independent sticks. I am concerned here because the 737 and other Boeing planes have had artifical "feel" for decades. Looks like when all the "help" quits, the 737 still had a cable for the elevator and the little wheel for trim. Attaboy for the folks in the "just fly the plane" camp.

However, and this is important, those days are going fast, and I loved them as a wannabe astronaut. But we can't go back, and shouldn't, except to remind us of our roots.

We may never get to the xBox or Nintendo or Playstation world except the folks at Creech AFB. That's because in real aerospace vehicles you can sense gees and body rates. And so far, the carbon life-form creatures have done well in a few military jets and in the Airbus with zero feedback from the control surfaces. Besides, if you get high enuf there ain't no aero loads on the surfaces unless you are going the speed of stink ( ask my Blackbird friends).

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 20th May 2019 at 22:49.