PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing admits flaw in 737 Max flight simulator
Old 19th May 2019, 19:37
MemberBerry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fgrieu
What substantiates too easy ? The only source I know is Boeing's statement "changes will improve the simulation of force loads on the manual trim wheel". I have yet to find any authoritative source on if the change makes turning the wheel of the simulator easier or harder, and in which part of the flight envelope / position of the ailerons.
From what I read Boeing's Saturday statement is in response to a New York Times article from Friday (later edit: actually, upon further reading, Boeing's statement is from Friday as well):

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/17/b...imulators.html

From the article:

The simulators did not reflect the immense force that it would take for pilots to regain control of the aircraft once the system activated on a plane traveling at a high speed.
[...]
On the Ethiopian flight, the pilots struggled to turn the wheel while the plane was moving at a high speed, when there is immense pressure on the tail. The simulators did not properly match those conditions, and Boeing pilots found that the wheel was far easier to turn than it should have been.
If the article was inaccurate, I doubt Boeing's wouldn't have pointed it out in their statement.

Last edited by MemberBerry; 19th May 2019 at 19:52. Reason: Additional NY Times quote added.