PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 16th May 2019, 21:29
Heisenb3rg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. obviously i'll take what I read here with a pinch of salt...!!

Current situation:
A320 FO, 23 years old, ATPL, uk based airline, command probably 4 years away.

I've all but decided our lovely flag carrier probably isn't the best fit for me, and the red hot one doesn't really hire that frequently so waiting for that could be a while.

I have around 10 - 15 friends currently at QR who have all said, to varying degrees of seriousness, that I should join them for a stint in the sandpit.
If i came to QR id have something like a 5 year plan. I know it sounds cliched but id want to come, save a load of cash, see the world / have a bit of an adventure, and leave before my sanity ran away from me. Coming back to the UK with 3-400k (...? realistic aim for 5 years of saving or a pipe dream?) in the bank would set me up very well, presuming I could get a fairly swift command back at my current airline, or at least a RHS job anywhere at all!

My question is, in my position would you stay put and get a command in your mid-late 20s, accepting that its a bit of a golden handcuffs moment and that the job wont really be any different in 35 years time than it is now, or come to QR with the aim of flying long haul for at least a few years?

Thanks