PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVA B777 close call departing LAX
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2019, 12:28
Zeffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MemberBerry
Non-pilot here, where did you get this information that they did nothing? I'm looking at the GPWS data and it seems to disagree with your claim:

https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/62000-62...361/624523.pdf

- one second after the pull up warning started the autopilot has disengaged.
- two seconds later the auto-throttles went from MODE (5) to THR HOLD (4)
- three seconds later the auto-throttles went from THR HOLD (4) to SPEED (1)
- until the pull up warnings the engines have been at around 79% N1. After those 7 seconds the engines reached 91% N1. 10 seconds later they reached 94% N1.
- until the pull up warnings they were climbing at around 1500 feet per minute. 7 seconds later they were climbing at about 3500 feet per minute. 3 seconds later they reached a vertical speed of about 4200 feet per minute.
- their pitch attitude was 7 degrees up when the warnings started. After 7 seconds it was 12 degrees up.

I doubt all that would have been possible if they "did nothing in the vertical direction"..
Thanks for that -- I stand corrected. My eyes had glazed over after the first few pages of "not pull up" status.

Originally Posted by MemberBerry
I really don't understand the tendency on these forums to direct as much blame/responsibility as possible towards the pilots, even after the preliminary report clearly listed mistakes on the ATC's side, and didn't list any on the pilot side, not even recommendations. And the latest documents released by NTSB paint a similar picture. I noticed the same tendency in the discussions about the 737 MAX.
Oh, without a doubt, the ATC owns this one. Also noteworthy were her failure to file an ATSAP within 24 hours and the decisions by her managers in evaluating the magnitude of the near disaster.
https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/62000-62...361/624519.pdf