PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French ATC Strikes season starting.
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2019, 20:38
tomuchwork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually I prefer french ATC on strike and flight cancelled instead of the usual BS if you have to go into the Paris area.

e.g. today - just released by Swiss and thrown into the french meat grinder - TINIL9B, Mach .75 max. ok. Shortly later, turn left, 20°(which brought us WELL OFF the STAR in the wrong direction). Speed 280kts. Descent according STAR, BUT rate minimum 2000 ft(which was to much for that star which lead anyway to a far to early descent, talking about 100 NM+ here and not +/- 10NM), blablabla(and they wonder why pollution is rising, well, ask ATC). Made the STAR at the end useless, but involved , french style, to much talking. Not even mentioning the safety hazard talking in French language(who ever was thinking that might be a clever idea, but hey, we talking about French here, like their Spanish counterparts) with zillion of Air France guys and you had no clue where this guys are ghosting around(as it was 30 years ago and will be 100 years in future considering the french).

Fact is - they are inefficient, striking far to much(or actually to less in my taste, hell, close down the entire french airspace, who cares) and sometimes lacking the understanding of the abilities of aircraft(reduce speed 250kts AND increase rate of descent, (well, a Boeing is not a Renault with blocked brakes). 2 language ATC(french and english) is just not efficient and an other sign of french arrogance/ignorance. Or are the germans doing such a stupid thing talking to german carriers only in german? Exactly.

Best thing I still remember from french ATC, waaaay back on our way to LFPO - descent 6000 ft, inbound MEL, max rate of descent, NO speed limit(well, we expected a quick lineup for Orly, instead...). 3 NM before MEL - ENTER MEL hold-------looooooooooooollllllll, Fantastic entry into the hold as you could imagine. Nice 6 NM overshoot.... all safe in baguette land....Strike. For better training. Payscale should be all right(if not far overpaid). Sorry about my bitterness, but enduring that french crap now for 30 years and it just gets worse....

You can see that french ATC works for the state. Very clearly. Take it as compliment or offence. I honestly do not care but french ATC.... bah.