PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheremetyevo Superjet 100 in flames
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2019, 21:24
apatity2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A very gentle flare initially. You have to pay attention to engine casing pitch, also the camera inertia (latency) in the video. This would normally correspond to a gentle stick manipulation and a/c pitching moments. The black box should confirm it later.

By the 2:45 the aircraft was well in the nose high attitude, landing smoothly the main wheels (check the tube videos and pics to see the Suchoi level on the ground engine casing pitch to horizon). Then, at 2:45, several centimetres from the ground, it looks like a little more back pressure was added to arrest the descend. So, as the airframe responds and gains the pitch up momentum, unlucky but not uncommon for everything that flys (swans including), the main gear chirp the ground, or a wind gust adds the odds and aircraft lifts again- you can observe ballooning happens a lot of times during the normal landing, plenty of videos on the tube. The ship is ballooning and no spoilers triggered. The pilots either go around or continue landing focusing on maintaining the pitch (as opposed trying to direct aircraft vertical speeds- PIO), so the ship eventually lands itself. Again there are lots of good videos on the tube giving good and bad examples. They also show many situations in which aircrafts are very forgiving.

From what I can see on this video, after the balloon, the Superjet pilot did NOT provoke the aircraft with aggressive stick moves. Based on all the information available now, my opinion only, given the scenario of speed, weight, balance and mechanisation used - no one can do better with this airplane.

I hope the black box information will be available soon. In the mean time give other pilots a go recreating the speeds, weight, balance and mech in the current version of Superjet sim. How does the model performs? It should be very accurate, as the Math in Russia is the strongest part.