PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career in EK or work for regional in the USA? Help me guys.
Old 10th May 2019, 18:42
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator35
At the same time, I have a green card and eligible to work in the USA. In order to work in the USA, I need to convert my license to FAA equivalent which requires me to pass ATP/CTP course and a check ride (Actually it is similar for one who requires to upgrade its FAA CPL to FAA ATP). I quickly reviewed most of the regionals, they pay for ATP/CTP course and also give type rating for the FAA CPL holders. In other words, FAA CPL holders don't need to pay anything for conversion. I tried to apply some of the regional companies tried to explain my situation about the conversion process but they declined my application. They also informed me to convert my license first and then re-apply.

I am 29 years old. I am about to get my Ph.D. degree in aviation. my wife is a software engineer.

...and also do you know any regional which can help me to convert my license in the USA?
aviator35,

Admittedly, you have a tough decision. I'm no expert by anyone's definition but wonder if you have directly contacted those US regionals who currently take Australians under an E3 visa and talked to them about your situation. While you are a slight variation on a theme, these particular regionals would be more familiar with the FAA ATPL issuance directly from an non-US license as they do exactly that for the Australians; would it really be all that different for conversion from a Turkish license ? I don't know.

If my understanding is correct, these are the US regionals taking E3 Australians without an FAA license: Piedmont, Trans States, Expressjet, Gojet, Commutair, Mesa. One of our Aussie readers will correct this list if I've got it wrong.

I assume if you talk to regionals who do NOT handle this license process, they'll tell you a conversion to FAA is your responsibility as they won't have the expertise, motivation or process in place to do it.

You have solid experience, a green card and meet the college degree requirements of the career-destination airlines here in the USA. Based on my understanding, there's no reason why you wouldn't be competitive for a spot at these airlines. I know they take green card holders...no problem.

The one thing they might like to see is a few years flying here at a place like a regional. If a regional would take you and get you an FAA ATPL at no cost to you, that might ease the pain of the lower income levels in the early years at a regional ? And your wife would likely find work here also.

I only know what I read here about Emirates so I'm not in a position to compare the two choices you face.

In any event, good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited by bafanguy; 10th May 2019 at 19:01.