PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2019, 16:03
Planespeaking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrequentlyFlying
My viewpoint from someone who worked in LGovt and regularly had ‘debate’ on LA(uthority) projects with planners.

unlikely to be passed without lots of additional info requests, impact studies, and public enquiry etc. It will become a political football locally too, awareness of environmental impact at a high... no Councillor on a planning committee will want to sign it off without a eye on local public opinion. it may seem a relatively contained package of works but the scale of impact is clear, an airport with jet base potential from one that currently dominated by lighter craft. It will also open a massive can of worms over curfew and impact which could be tightened if the Can is opened.

its so close to populations in Eastleigh it could stand the chance of becoming a massive hot potato that needs to go to appeal where the judgment will be looked at in exactly the same political climate.

It’s a great connected airport, I hope it gets a major LCC to European cities but, if I lived v nearby ..... I would be bending the local Councilors/Leader against and they intern would be visiting the planners almost daily.
SEN went through this fight over ten years ago, with judicial reviews two or three times until the High Court told the objectors to stop wasting the Court's time. Now the runway has been extended by nearly 1000' and EZ and FR are operating normally to a new £100m terminal and railway station. It depends whether the airport owner/operator has the will to fight and invest.