PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK A380 or A320 command really confused
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2019, 13:28
777-200LR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll try and give you a balanced view according to my limited 17 years in this business.

A320 PIC....right now I dont think there is a more valuable position you can be in. The 737 is a close 2nd and I'll bet the A220 will soon gain huge popularity and challenge both of those I previously mentioned. Being a Captain for any airline is challenging and you remain ultimately where the buck stops, and rightly so, since any manager will expect that with the paycheck it comes with.

A380 EK FO.....again right now I don't think there is an easier position to be in at EK. I emphasize that is it "right now", because having been working here for 11 years, I have seen it changed from fleet to fleet and position to position numerous times. With A330s coming back in 2021 and depending how they will man the 777x next year, it remains anyone's guess what fleet will enjoy the best lifestyle going forward a few years, and upgrades will depend greatly on that. There is no such thing as total job security, but in my time here, not once have I worried about my job nor not got paid on time.

Contrarily to what some people believe; bankruptcies, furloughs, secondments, fleet reductions etc. will NEVER disappear! In fact, the last 12 months have seen these very issues return after a reletive lengthy calm. As others have mentioned, its all about the end game; no one can determine where, what, how you live your life better than these kind of decisions you have to make. The honeymoon might be soon over again as global economies' growth certainly show signs of slowing, so the successful question will be how best you suit yourself for those times.