PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheremetyevo Superjet 100 in flames
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2019, 09:57
slatterri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has been a lot of professionally understandable indignation in this thread about passengers who stop to pick up their cabin baggage before fleeing a burning plane. To well informed professionals this seems an almost criminal act but I have two points I would like to gently make.
1.) When any statistical cross section of humanity regularly makes a decision that seems stupid it may not be the people who are to blame but the system. It's probably bucking human nature.
2.) The airline business as a whole shares a lot of the blame. They aren't getting the message across and they're not really trying.

The issue is that there is a conflict in the industry brain between marketing and safety. No one selling a BA (say) airline seat is going to lead with what is critical to life during a crash, they sell the sunshine. Yes there is a flight safety briefing but it's all friendly and jolly. The result, when a serious problem does occur, is denial. Even when faced with death passengers don't realise. That is how they come to make apparently stupid decisions. Castigating passengers is too easy a blame game. My suspicion is that as mentioned in the thread, the most likely fix for this is to lock the overhead lockers during flight.