PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2019, 01:04
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Still concentrating on the Human Factor - the miserable consuming confusion while under stress.

Recently I said.
" there's a chance some pre-knowledge of the Lion Air accident had a negative effect on the ET skipper's actions. Firstly a greater shock factor - due to realising a very specific and serious danger was confronting him . . ."
However, Lord Farringdon put it far better, and in commoner's language.

If the ET Captain had never heard of MCAS, he probably would have carried out the UAS and landed safely. Basically, his mere knowledge of MCAS but lack of full understanding of it may have scared the c##p out of him.
Hopefully by now the ET captain may well have linked the duff AoA with an airspeed error and stick-shake, but not the failure of the AP to stay locked on for more than thirty seconds. He was probably processing that while the wheel spun for 9 seconds.

I recall leaving the classrooms after Type conversions with a reasonable knowledge of system interactions . . . at best. Usually, the light-bulb would come on after 300 to 500 hours and a lot of work. How one system affected another was the most difficult part of any type conversion for me, and in the modern world, I'd imagine the MAX is an order of magnitude more involved. I have to concede 737 Driver's 'Fly and then press on with the drills', rather than analyse too deeply is vital. It's simply too complex these days.

Last edited by Loose rivets; 7th May 2019 at 11:08. Reason: Murpy's spotted AP time on incorrect. Corrected.