PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2019, 12:50
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On UAS:
Originally Posted by 737 Driver
Unfortunately, our company manuals don't go into that level of detail. It does have this little gem, though: "If the flight crew is aware of the problem, flight without the benefit of valid airspeed information can be safely conducted and should present little difficulty." Just a walk through the park.
Does it include "land at nearest suitable airport".?
The Lion Air prelim report on the penultimate flight crew:
The pilot performed three Non-Normal Checklists (NNCs) consisting of Airspeed Unreliable, ALT DISAGREE, and Runaway Stabilizer. None of the NNCs performed contained the instruction “Plan to land at the nearest suitable airport”.
Seems to me with that much 'stuff hitting the fan' (polite form of a well known technical term) I think that pressing on was a bit of a gamble, that they did probably may relate to commercial pressure.
Interest to know what % of commercial pilots reading this would have pressed on.

737 driver
Reference deactivated "AOA Disagree" alert.
Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.
That being said, I think it is fair to say that prior to the MAX accidents, most of the pilots at my airline had no clue that there was such a thing as an "AOA Disagree" alert. I'm not sure it would have made any difference.
Could have made a big difference in Lion Air if the penultimate crew had included it in the tech log. I say if because they seem to have left out using trim cutout.
ET might have been the first one in that case,