PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Hire Queenstown
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2019, 01:25
MagnumPI

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 27/09
I think you'll find it almost impossible to hire for your own "scenic' in that part of the world. I very much doubt you'll find anyone willing to hire anything bigger then a 4 seater and even then unlikely to let you head off by yourself into the mountains without either a safety pilot (instructor) with you or a very extensive checkout before hand, no matter what size of aircraft. Before you can get a PPL in New Zealand these days you need dual training and a sign off for mountain flying.
Pretty much this.

I've flown twice at Queenstown - both times thankfully going up with an instructor from Lake Wakatipu Aero Club. Incidentally, they have been kicked out of Queenstown, but I believe now have a new home at Kingston. First time I went up in a C152, and then a C172. I don't know that they had anything bigger on crosshire but their website (dated?) said they have/had a 206.

One thing's for sure, if you haven't had any mountain flying time you'd be a brave or ignorant soul to head out there, despite your >1000 hours experience. Both times I flew were fairly benign days by QN standards, but the weather can change very quickly and winds make things interesting. There is really no environment like it in Aus, you'd have to go to the northern hemisphere to get something similar.

They used to run mountain flying courses when they were based at Queenstown which definitely sounded like a worthwhile investment. Maybe you could do that and then convince someone to crosshire you a six-seater, but I don't know...