PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2019, 03:47
capngrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wonkazoo
If I have to read

Someone else has properly offered here that the ET incident may well be traced at it's most basic human factors core to the impairment the pilots experienced due to the previous Lion Air crash. In other words: Their consciousness knew how the last one went down, so their bodies responded accordingly, which left them poorly equipped to actually perform the steps you have been seemingly demanding that they do since shortly after they in fact died.

Regards-
dce
Wonkazoo:

Your above statement indicates to me that you think that all pilots are a bunch of folks who turn to jelly at the first sign of something amiss. I have to respectfully disagree. The extensive training that pilots are supposed to undergo, is to primarily reduce the effects of the "startle factor" and allow the so-called "muscle memory" to take over in the event of an emergency. Of course that is only if the pilots have been trained to fly the airplane instead of wonder: "Why is it doing that?" All too many recent (in the past decade or so) accidents/incidents have involved pilots trouble shooting the computer generated warnings instead of looking out the window and flying the aircraft. I can't necessarily fault pilots for that, because that seems to be what is currently being taught. Pilots need to develop a feel for flying and to understand that it is a very complicated, yet do-able balancing act. I still like 737 Driver's mantra: " Turn off the magic, set the pitch, set the power, trim the aircraft, monitor the performance and move the aircraft to a safe altitude".

Cheers,
Grog