PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2019, 17:02
FrequentSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Driver

Please read and heed the entire mantra. The first step is to turn off the magic. A few steps later is “Trim the Aircraft”. That step is sufficient to take care of MCAS until the runaway trim procedure is executed. The manual trimming has always been a problem on multiple Boeings - if you let it get grossly out of trim. The crew had the ability to not let it get there.

I’m sorry, but this is too much like the story of the kid who killed his parents and then requested mercy before the Court because he was an orphan. The lack of application of basic airmanship skills placed this aircraft in a situation where basic airmanship skills were no longer sufficient to save the ship. Too many people are looking at the five minute mark and declaring the aircraft to be unflyable without much regard as to what happened in the previous 4 minutes and 59 seconds.
grossly out of trim? I do not the FDR traces, but if i recall well was 2 MCAS events and trim was at 2.1. So 2 degrees, max 3 out of trim...
your mantra says turn off magic first.., so... how long before you decide to trun off? 9 seconds? 2.5 degress of trim... of you saying that you so brilliant that in 1 second can decide is a runaway trim and hit the cut off?
9 seconds and ypu are grosssly out of trim, and no power. You stated earlier, before cut off trim back...but how that works with turn off magic? Those are your words...turn off magic, but before cutting off power trim back... that is impossible on max.
maybe you need a new mantra