PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question on Colour Vision & Class 1 Medical Over 60
Old 1st May 2019, 10:44
john_tullamarine

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
The OP wished to delete the thread. However, it appears to be generating some interest and should be a topic of interest to many. I have re-established the thread so that the OP can exit gracefully. (With thanks to Senior Pilot for doing the work so now I know how to do it next time ....)

The original OP text follows -

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone's had to negotiate this previously at age 60, but here's the situation for me & I would be grateful for any comments/info please.
I've a colour vision deficiency i.e. "colour blind". I always fail the Isihara book & Farnsworth Lantern Test & until around 1988, I could not fly at night, however that changed to CPL level after several individuals (with AOPA support) & especially Dr Arthur Pape challenged the CAA through the AAT. In 1995, I passed a practical colour vision test in Melbourne & have had an ATPL ever since.
I'm now 60 (where did those years go...) & at my next medical, I understand I will be required to undertake the full opthlamoligal assessment process once again. I understand the practical colour vision test has been dispensed with & that I will have to go through the Isihara & Lantern Test processes again. Given that I have a 99.9% chance of failing these, I was wondering if a "grand fathering" type clause might apply to those who passed under a previous system, especially given that "colour blindness" apparently doesn't get better/worse with age...
Has anyone been in a similar situation?