PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:21
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I confess I have not read ALL the previous posts. I trust I am not treading on anyone's toes here. Pitch-power-speed is the go-to mantra for most of us who learned to fly with an AVGAS engine, a fixed pitch propeller in front of us and an instructor to our right. However, when the aircraft misbehaves in an unexpected fashion not mentioned in any QRH or training manual then the sense of disorientation, surprise, incredulity, inadequacy, anger, and frustration will swamp the brain and preclude all rational thought. Disengaging the auto-pilot, leveling the wings, looking for the horizon, and applying 75% of available power will still appear to the observer as a failed exercise and lead to further confusion etc, intensifying the cycle until utter hopelessness swamps the poor pilot. Imho, these two MAX 8 crashes were design faults and Boeing is squarely to blame for the failure to engage with owners regarding the subtle changes to the anti-stall system. I am glad I was not on board because even though we can all sit here and imagine that we would have done it differently, many of us might not.