PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2019, 21:23
wonkazoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone here definitively state what Reg MCAS was intended to provide compliance with??

I have seen several different sources cite to 14CFR 25.203 "Stall Characteristics" ("No abnormal nose-up pitching may occur.") and others to 14CFR 25.173(c) Static Longitudinal Stability (The average gradient of the stable slope of the stick force versus speed curve may not be less than 1 pound for each 6 knots.)

I'm working on something and it would be immensely helpful to have a factual basis for the certification requirements that MCAS was intended to provide compliance with. This is actually somewhat of a big deal- I had been working off the predicate that it was for "increasing feel" approaching high alpha, but I see now with either of those Regs that might not be correct.

Whatever the reg is that MCAS was implemented for it seems clear that the system as designed is not a feel enhancement, it is a flight control system, which raises a huge number of questions if you think about it for too long...

Thank you in advance for your time and for passing on any relevant information-
dce