PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2019, 20:21
Thrust Augmentation

Received 82 Likes on 23 Posts
Why MCAS to start?

Regardless of whether pilot, training, sensor, computing, hardware or maintenance error caused the incident, to go back to square one I'm still interested in why MCAS was implemented in the 1st place to resolve a feel issue(?).

I understand why the cowlings are larger.

I understand why the cowlings have been repositioned.

I understand why the cowlings increase lift.

I believe that certification requires increasing stick forces at increasing AOA.

I still do not understand why MCAS was the resolution as I still do not understand why the driving one of the 737's most powerful control surface was considered as a suitable remedy to what in my understanding is a pilot perception requirement that certification demands. There are other methods of doing this that cannot put an aircraft in jeopardy.

PLEASE someone tell me that my train of though is wrong, or if it isn't why was MCAS seen by Boeing & the regulators as a suitable resolution to the issue?

I've asked as much a few times previously without reply - I'm genuinely interested & if it wasn't for the fact that there are various MAX threads on the go I would start one specifically on this question.