PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2019, 16:37
bill fly

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gums
Salute!

I shall stick with my interpretation of the reason MCAS was implemented.

It was to counter a nose up pitch moment.

If all it had to do was stiffen or increase back stick, there would not have been two crashes where the stab trimmed so far down that recovery was a big problem. Oh yeah, then the 5 sec pause and here we go again.

I would love to have Driver or another 737 jock fly the MAX with no MCAS and pull until the stall shaker. Let us know if the stick got lighter and if it was a problem. Real plane, not a sim.

PLease see the other forum where the pitch versus AoA charts are shown/discussed. and somewhere here we have the same chart.

Gotta see the dentist. So later..
Gums...
Hi Gums, Hope the dentist was kind... Saw the charts before, ta.

I think the point is:

- As they say on the news (and here for once they are right...) MCAS is a function which can/will push the nose down whereas

A feel increase mechanism will make pulling back harder - but won’t push the nose down.

Now I know which I would rather have.

Let’s imagine that such a system had been fitted instead of MCAS in the three AoA anomaly cases which we have discussed. What would have happened?

All the accompanying warnings for stall and speed disagree etc. would still have gone off. While the crew were sorting this out - with or without autopilot, with or without flap - there would have been no further distraction except a stiffer pull force, which could have been trimmed out as required. No big hand forcing the flight path down - no trim “runaway”.

The chances for survival would have been good, crew skills here or there I reckon.

Greetings, B