PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2019, 11:45
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bill fly
From Gums

The problem, Bill, et al, is that the plane required an aerodynamic fix for pitch moments approaching the stall AoA.

Hi Gums,
That's not what I have understood the certification problem to be - which was that stick back force did not increase enough at higher AoA to satisfy the requirements. That is not quite the same as a pitch up problem, although it could lead to one, depending on pilot reaction.
If what I understood back there is true - and it came from a very reliable source quite early on on this thread, there can be a few ways to increase stick back force, without going the aerodynamic route.
To my mind, this is preferable than putting large inputs into the stab and has the added advantage that if a fail input into a direct feel-controlling software or linkeage occurs, it is much easier to manage.
Of course if all works normally, the feeling in the design case (high AoA) for the pilot would be a similar one. Of course Boeing wouldn't deliberately put a time bomb in their system . but as we see, one was waiting there.
Greetings, B

PS The quote you used wasn't from me - although I subscribe to a lot of the sentiment in it.
It may (or may not) be helpful to remember that the autopilot does not require MCAS help.
This reinforces the fact that this is fundamentally a stick feel issue rather than a critical instability that could kick in under extreme but still in certified envelope conditions.