PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2019, 13:26
737 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meleagertoo

With respect, it's not. Its a very naiive question.

First of all they very clearly are 'getting on with fixing their problems'. What on earth would make anyone dream otherewise?
Okay, perhaps my comment was a bit too subtle, because it really wasn't directed at Boeing.

Previously, I listed five broad causal links involving different groups:

1. Boeing
2. FAA and other certificate authorities
3. Maintenance/logistical chain (both the airline and possible third-party repair facility involved with Lion Air faulty AOA vane)
4. Airlines
5. Flight crew members

Let me restate my question differently, perhaps a bit more diplomatically.

Why don't each of these groups simply admit they had a role in these accidents and focus on addressing those issues?

I think that we all know that for legal reasons, anyone in the first four groups is going to be very reticent to say anything publicly that will increase their liability exposure. And to be fair, each of these groups is very likely working in the background to correct their lapses. One concern, of course, is that some of these players may not go far enough because they are concerned that comprehensive remedial action will be tantamount to an admission of guilt (i.e. the initial Boeing response to the Lion Air crash).

What about that fifth group? I'm not talking about the crew members who perished. I'm talking about the rest of the professional pilot corps who has just been handed a great, big warning sign that things may not be well in our collective house. I don't think anyone is going to try to sue anyone here, so we really don't have the same excuse as the others.

Yes, it get the the natural human tendency to defend one of our own. We really don't like contemplating that one of our brethren may have had anything to do with the deaths of hundreds of people. "There but for the grace of God," and so forth. All perfectly understandable sentiments, and all significant obstacles to making any changes to the way we do business.

You can't fix a problem until you recognize a problem exists. I humbly suggest that we collectively recognize the crew competency issues within our own ranks and devote our brain cells to addressing that problem rather than lobbing largely ineffectual grenades over the fence.

Last edited by 737 Driver; 30th Apr 2019 at 13:51.