PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2019, 03:37
RatherBeFlying

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
MCAS Working as (poorly) Designed - AoA fails occasionally

I am wondering how much negative g was produced in the cockpit with the final two MCAS excursions past Vmo. I remember being a front seat passenger when our car rear-ended another car. My legs flew up even though I was strapped in and braced. The driver wasn't and fractured a foot. The accident crews were not military pilots experienced with serious g.

Should we not have a careful look at the stick shaker NNC, given that a failed AoA is setting up the crew for the MCAS knock out combo punch?

I like that at least one pilot suggests pulling the stick shaker breaker once a safe flight path is established.

If failed AoA on one side, is there a way to switch SMYDs - and then perhaps see if the other AoA is correct (sure would like to see three)?

And how about an NNC item to keep flaps down unless switched to a good AOA - that or cut out the automatic trim first?

I am well experienced with non air carrier aviation organisations that sometimes set up pilots to kill themselves (all with the best intentions) and have witnessed a fatality, injury, hull losses, serious incidents and narrow escapes.

A certain paranoia is beneficial, including towards your own attitude.

​​​​In the kingdom of SOPs and multiple checklists, we and management (operator and manufacturer) tend to believe the cotton wool it envelopes us in will protect against all ills we have foreseen.

Works pretty good until something unforseen pops up when the crew better have 737driver's mantra in their back pocket - unless you're in a glider.