PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2019, 02:39
wonkazoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Driver
Okay Wonkazoo, you win. I humbly concede. I guess we will all have to accept that any pilot can freeze up at any moment, people will die, and there's nothing to be done. There's no way to train, no way to learn, no way to improve, no way to avoid certain death for some uncertain number of people. The best we can hope for is that someday someone will invent the perfect aircraft and thus be able to remove the imperfect pilot from the equation altogether.

Excuse me if I choose not to live in that world.
It shouldn't be surprising that you see this dialogue as something that must be won or lost given what you have written.

Sadly it isn't about winning or losing, its about enlightenment and using knowledge to alter future outcomes. (As opposed to continuing ancient tropes while simultaneously ignoring and exculpating the individual(s) who were really at fault for setting the cheese in motion in the first place.) If you put a hundredth of the energy into picking apart the engineering staff, legal staff, management staff etc at Boeing, and the certification process as overseen (ahem) by the FAA I would be more impressed, not to mention you might have a positive impact on the actual root causes for the entire chain of events.

And the next 737 model you climb into might end up being properly engineered and certified as a result, which I would think would be a happy outcome for you given your profession.

Warm regards,
dce