PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 28th Apr 2019, 12:26
BluSdUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Software fixes delayed, Infinitely!?

I find this latest development from Boeing and FAA fascinating.
They push the MCAS software patch without sim training as if they have fixed the problem.
Only to possibly admit a short sim addition and off we go!

There is just a few problems with this and I will list the biggest.
1 The aircraft is not stable and MCAS does not make it more stable or more stall proof, ie not certifiable!
2 The AOA indicator is flawed and if not corrected will in the future potentially cause a fatal accident on its own.
3 From a CRM stand point I can make a case of particularly edgy, but average crew ,getting into a full stall after a "normal " MCAS activation!
( ie Pulling and trimming ANU close to stall if not properly trained in a sim)
4 If Boeing has not developed an aerodynamic fix on the tail to counter the engine cowling induced pitch up at higher AOA in parallel with the MCAS patch to replace it , we risk the commercial pressure to overrule the basic certification criteria.

If Boeing get away with the MCAS Light without any sim training as is most likely, law and order is abandoned.
In particular the respect and fear of Newton and Bernoulli, in which we keep in balance every day.
History will judge harshly on Our choice.
Sincerely
CptB
Future MAX pilot!?