PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2019, 21:56
meleagertoo

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Driver
So, there I am hand-flying, bring the flaps up, and BAM!, MCAS kicks in. What MCAS will then attempt to do is run the trim nose down for 9 continuous seconds and spin the trim wheel about 37 times. I’ve asked this before, and I’ll ask this again: Starting from a stabilized, in-trim platform, exactly how long should a qualified 737 type-certified Captain who is hand-flying the aircraft let the trim run in one direction before he/she does something about it? Therein lies your answer. What you have at this point is runaway stab trim. Our procedures really don’t care what the source of the runaway is. If you have an undesired and unexplained stab trim input, you are expected to intervene.

I do not disagree, but there really is a limit to how much befuddlement should be expected of a professional flight crew entrusted with the lives of 150+ souls. If a pilot cannot overcome the initial surprise factor in pretty short order, fall back on basic airmanship skills and executed known procedures, then perhaps they should reconsider their chosen career.
+100
Oh? Ten charaters minimum? +100,000,000 then