PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2019, 15:31
Smythe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to see a brand new FMS, not version 14 with all the legacy bs hiding in the background.
A good flow chart of the connectivity and flowpath with the if/then clearly shown. Now there is not only the if/then, but the legacy but if, but if, but if, then.

B 737 driver....In regards to the MCAS and AP, there seems to be some differences noted.
From Pilot reports:

Wind and mechanical turbulence was noted. Careful engine warm times, normal flaps 5 takeoff in strong (appeared almost direct) crosswind. Departure was normal. Takeoff and climb in light to moderate turbulence. After flaps 1 to "up" and above clean "MASI up speed" with LNAV engaged I looked at and engaged A Autopilot. As I was returning to my PFD (Primary Flight Display) PM (Pilot Monitoring) called "DESCENDING" followed by almost an immediate: "DONT SINK DONT SINK!"
I immediately disconnected AP (Autopilot) (it WAS engaged as we got full horn etc.) and resumed climb.

Another report:

After verifying LNAV, selecting gear and flaps up, I set "UP" speed. The aircraft accelerated normally and the Captain engaged the "A" autopilot after reaching set speed. Within two to three seconds the aircraft pitched nose down bringing the VSI to approximately 1,200 to 1,500 FPM. I called "descending" just prior to the GPWS sounding "don't sink, don't sink." The Captain immediately disconnected the autopilot and pitched into a climb. The remainder of the flight was uneventful.

Over the years since the 447, I've become seriously concerned about the lack of aerodynamic feel the Children of the Magenta line seem to display.
Concur, but, as we have all noticed, the ac these days are getting pretty slippery, not to mention a lot more thrust.. its not as easy...been a bit surprised on some short finals.