PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2019, 09:54
BACsuperVC10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KelvinD
G-BYGC/BOAC:
Is it just me or what? Having photographed G-BYGC on arrival from the paintshop in horrible weather in February, I thought I ought to try to get some shots in better weather. Today was an excellent opportunity and I caught it arriving around mid-day in full chat sunshine. Smashing! Except the blue used on the paint job seems wrong to me, but it could just be a duff memory. I am thinking back to the bad old days when BOAC started flying the VC10 into Aden and I would swear the blue on those aircraft was dark enough to be almost black. Similarly, if you look at the example at Duxford, that too is a very dark blue. The current shade on G-BYGC seems virtually washed out to me and not at all how it used to be.
Or is it just me...?
Which reminds me; about a year ago in this thread, people were discussing how BA got to Karachi from Heathrow, noting all the various aircraft types and routings. Nobody seems to have remembered the VC that used to go via Jeddah to Karachi. My first trip on that service was mid 1978 when taking up a post in Jeddah and the aircraft was going on to Karachi before returning to Jeddah to collect the next batch of 'escapees' for the hoeward trip to London!
The VC10 is still my favourite aircraft, I never had the chance to fly on one, I do remember as a young travel agent consulting the BA timetable in early to mid 80s to see where the VC10 operated to, there weren't many destinations from memory.