PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 max returning to service ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2019, 23:41
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by groundbum
a third crash, Heaven forbid, would be the death knell for Boeing AND whichever airline was flying it and put profit before safety. They've had enough warnings now. The tort lawyers would jump for glee. The MAX issues go beyond an MCAS software fix. If I worked for any airline in a management capacity there's no way my signature would be appearing on any return-to-service MAX paperwork....

G
Agreed, and whatever calculated risks Boeing might originally have rationally believed to be reasonable (i.e., talked themselves into), they had better not think so now. There are press reports that Boeing hired a public relations agency to deal with restoring public confidence. Just great. My confidence would be better restored by hiring an outside engineering firm to do a thorough, independent technical design review, along with independent test pilots to explore abnormal behaviors associated with a malfunctioning system considering all the failure modes. Sort of like the work the FAA ACO used to do before the recent advent of the Boeing ODA and BASOO. The key is INDEPENDENT, where financial and business considerations are not allowed to compromise professional engineering judgment.

By the way, any tort lawyer who would jump for glee at a third fatal accident is not one I would want to retain. Call me old fashioned.