PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 26th Apr 2019, 04:50
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Arydberg
You might look into Egypt Air flight 990 that crashed into the Atlantic. The official ruling was pilot suicide but there are people that disagree. It seems that to loose 33,000 feet in less than 40 seconds is beyond pilot control. ( if i am reading this right)
Aside from that being a 767, and not a 737NG, if you read the actual report you'd almost have to be delusional to believe it wasn't pilot suicide.
Unless you actually believe that a pilot, in the middle of an emergency, would reach down and move both engine fuel levers to CUTOFF in an effort to save the aircraft....
I wasn't directly involved in the investigation, but I know several people who were. We're not talking the engines just quitting (due, perhaps, to the negative G starving them of fuel). Fuel lever position is on the DFDR, and they both changed state to CUTOFF at about the same time.
If anything remotely positive came out of the Germanwings crash, it's that Lubitz proved beyond any reasonable doubt that pilot suicide is a real threat.